Monday, July 27, 2009

PERMS? African American Hair! Read description please!?

Hi, My name is Kenya, I am 13, and I have long thick african american hair that is very hard to maintain (especially when washed)... I have asked my mom if I can get a perm, and she said these exact words, "No, It will make your hair fall out." Is this true?



PERMS? African American Hair! Read description please!?

閳俱儮娅旈埦锔规珪 Your mother is 100% right. If your hair is hard to maintain use this shampoo is it called Cream Of Nature and it helps natural hair I use this for my daughter. I also use Organic Root Stimulator on her natural hair and that makes it easier to comb because she is seven years old and very tender headed. This helps her. I also told my daughter that she will not be able to get a perm until she is over 18 because perms are hard to maintain and it is so easy to break off. Now she is comfortable with her natural hair. Because i increase her confidence I show her all the styles that she can have that the girls with perms can not have I also let her see while we are walking down the street what a little girl hair looks like with a perm and how unhealthy it looks and then I show her how healthy her hair is without the perm and that helps. If you want a straight look every once and a while ask your mother to give you a press and curl or just go and get a hot oil treatment and then get a wash and set. The hair salon knows how to wash and set natural hair too. I am not my hair. Love who you are because you are Black and Beautiful. I hope that I have helped you. I hope that I have helped you and I hope that I have helped your self esteem. 閳俱儮娅旈埦锔规珪



PERMS? African American Hair! Read description please!?

Over time it will make your hair fall out. Like 20 years from now.



PERMS? African American Hair! Read description please!?

it very well depend on what perm u use maybe for ur first perm u should let someone that know about perms do it. and please dont try and do it ur self. because if you dont know what perm u getting u can make ur hair fall out.



PERMS? African American Hair! Read description please!?

In most cases the answer is yes...eventually. Continued use of chemical relaxers leads to hair damage for most african american women. Partially due to dryness. My daughter had long thick difficult to manage hair, her grandmother relaxed it and now it's damaged and not as long. But, it IS easier to manage. I think its a trade off. If you do decide to do it, keep it up and keep it conditioned. Also, a friend of mine who is an adult has never relaxed her hair, only press %26amp; curl, her hair is so long it's halfway down her back when it is straight. I think the reason many of us african american women have trouble growing our hair long is the chemicals and heat that we use. If I could go back...I wouldn't have relaxed my daughter's hair. Your mother is right. It's worth the extra work for healthy hair.



PERMS? African American Hair! Read description please!?

First of all, babygirl...Your hair is your glory. Whether or not you get a perm is highly over rating who you are. Wear your hair with glory regardless. But to answer your question....



No Kenya your hair will not fall out. I will tell you that your hair will shed and break off if you dont take care of the perm. My daughter is 12 and she has long think hair like yours. I told her to keep the hot curlers, the hot comb and the blow dryer out of it SO MUCH. Your mother is right to a certain degree, but she is wrong about it just falling out. I think that you are old enough and mature enough to get a perm and take care of it, but you have to ask your beautician on how to maintain it. (I bet you your pretty with or without a perm) You go girl with your long thick hair!!!!



PERMS? African American Hair! Read description please!?

Well Ms. Kenya...I'm a 22 year old African American female..and since the age of 10 I say I used to perm my hair quite often..and it's true the chemicals strip your hair down and makes it very weak...I stopped perming my hair about two years ago and I get it flat ironed every other week and I can honestly say I think my hair has grown more in two years than in ten years....And your Mommy knows best...Hope this was helpful



PERMS? African American Hair! Read description please!?

I wouldn't recommend a Perm, I have heard that African hair is fragile compared with others especially hispanic hair. If you are having frizzies you might try an anti-frizz shampoo or serum available almost anywhere.



PERMS? African American Hair! Read description please!?

I think you are talking about a relaxer as opposed to a perm which makes the hair curly. But, no it will not just fall our. But relaxed hair needs maintenance. You will have to use a good shampoo and conditioner regularly. Moisturizing is very important. Part of the maintenance is getting the roots retouched anywhere from 4 weeks to 8 weeks apart. Most women need a retouch at 6 weeks. This is very important because if you wait too long, this is what causes breakage. The new growth is strong hair, while the relaxed part is weaker. Another thing is using too much heat. If you use curling irons everyday, this will cause damage to the hair. One more thing to consider is that not everyone's hair can tolerate a relaxer, but of course you won't know that until it is done. I have worn a relaxer for 20 years, and my hair has not suffered at all. Finally, at your age your mom may not feel that you are up for the responsibility of taking care of your hair. At 13 I too had very long, thick, wavy hair and all I wore was a ponytail!



PERMS? African American Hair! Read description please!?

Speaking as a Licensed Cosmetologist, I can tell you that what you do before and after getting a relaxer has alot to do with what it will do to your hair and whether or not it will fall out.



Before you get it.. Have a proper consultation with a professional stylist! Do not attempt at home. Most people who dislike relaxers have had bad experiences due to not having experience and trying to do their hair at home. (Just because relaxers are sold in stores does not mean you are supposed to buy them)



If you do get a relaxer, it all depends on how you take care of your hair in between visits at the salon. It is very important to take care of your hair regardless of having a chemical in it. Most people take more care of their bodies and not enough on their hair.



Whatever you choose to do, be smart, and do your research and speak to a PROFESSIONAL. And keep in mind that EVERYONE who owns a salon or works in one are not professionals, so use your instincts also. And just like you would with a doctor if you're not happy with certain info...get a second opinion.



Hope this helps.



PERMS? African American Hair! Read description please!?

no,not taking care of your hair will make it fall out. you can have a perm just take care of it like you should. wash it condition it and make sure you get the touch up when you need to. I got a perm when i started high school and I'm 22 now. I have no problems. Just get the strength you need, not too strong and make sure your beauticean does it. Girl, a perm makes life easier. Now that you're older, school will have you busy and some mornings you just to put it in a ponytail and get the going. That hot comb won't do the trick all the time!! Believe me, any type of moisture and my hair was too through like i put my finger in a socket. Just research a good hair stylist, the perm treatment they use and the time to take good care of it so it can continue to be healthy and grow. Perms don't make your hair fall out,poor treatment does.



PERMS? African American Hair! Read description please!?

No. If you take excellent care of your hair it will help promote hair growth. I have used a relaxer on my hair for years and never had any damage, ever. You must keep up the maintence. Keep it well oiled, your hair needs extra moisture, dont use a lot of other chemicals to your hair, stay away from heat type appliance. Dont use rubber bands in your hair, wrap it up nightly. Make sure use use the correct strenght of perm for your hair, if she ever decides to let you relax your hair.



PERMS? African American Hair! Read description please!?

Hi Kenya. My recommendation is that you listen to your mom. If you have long and thick hair and you are African American then obviously you and your mother are doing the right things when it comes to hair care. There are so many African American women who suffer hair damage and loss as a result of relaxers that I just can't say that getting one is worth it. There are a few African American women who are able to grow their hair even with relaxers, but these are in the minority. I've written a book on taking care of Black hair naturally and in this book I have a few quotes from experts. One of the quotes from the book is " '73% of African American women complain of breakage, split ends, and dryness caused by relaxers' said Dr. Miller, a dermatologist at the Milton S. Hershey Medical Center in Hershey." (Quoted from the article "Relaxers Can Cause African Americans' Hair Loss" in the Sept. 2001 issue of Skin and Allergy News.) Since it sounds like you are struggling with how to take care of your hair, here are some suggestions. Be sure to use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. These will make your hair easier to work through when you wash it. Also try sectioning your hair before washing it (either using braids or clips) and work through the sections one at a time when washing and conditioning it. This should make it easier to deal with. If you want your hair straight, consider straightening it out with either a pressing comb or a flat iron. These can cause damage if the heat is too high or if you rip through your hair, but if you keep the heat low, and work gently through your hair taking your time, you can get very nice results.



PERMS? African American Hair! Read description please!?

Chemical treatments are damaging to your hair. However, you can have healthy relaxed hair but it takes alot of up keep. If your hair is long and natural I would suggest keeping it that way. Trust me in the future you will be glad you did.



Relaxed hair is not necessarily easier to take care of. It just means your hair is straight or straighter. You still have to do it. And I'm speaking from experience, both natural and relaxed hairstyling is time comsuming.



Try natural styles such as: braids, cornrows, twist outs, Senegalese twist, kinky twist, etc. that require only weekly washing, and then periodically flat iron, press%26amp;curl, etc. for something different. Your mom might be more inclined to agree with these options. But I have to admit I agree with her on this one.



Check out Mahogany Beauty, its a new yahoo group. The group members have access to a hairstyle gallery that features the hottest hairstyles for African American women, as well as hair tips, etc.



http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/mah...

No comments:

Post a Comment